Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Book 25: One Nighttime Sea

Book 25: One Nighttime Sea, written by Deborah Lee Rose, illustrated by Steve Jenkins, Scholastic Press 2003.   Toddler to Preschool.

In February, my toddler son visited an aquarium and loved it, so the following week, I checked this book out of the library. I thought it was just another ocean counting book. It is not.

The first half is pretty standard: whales, seals, turtles. The second half was quite unexpected and delightfully jarring: nudibranches, zebra moray, dragonfish. The dragonfish illustration was by far the most unsettling and by far my son's favorite. I'm not sure what that means, but he did really like the teeth.

Great, unusual choices for this ocean counting book, that are excellently matched by colorful, dimensional illustrations. Don't miss this one, especially if you have an ocean-entranced toddler like I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment