Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Book 147: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?, written by Bill Martin Jr, illustrated by Eric Carle, Henry Holt 1967.  Toddler to Preschool to Early Elementary.

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? was another Kohl's Cares book.  When I bought it for my son, I thought he'd like the illustrations, which he does.  That he also enjoys the text is a bonus.

As a children's librarian, I was not a fan of highly repetitive books.  It is hard enough to hold the attention of twenty to thirty toddlers or preschooler without running the risk of potentially boring them.  As the mother of a budding reader, I do love some repetitive books.  My four-year-old reads this book right along with me and that is wonderful.  Eric Carle's artwork makes all the difference.

Eric Carle's artwork, as I've said before, practically hums with life.  It is vibrant and engaging.  It is distinct and charming.  It is wonderful.








2 comments:

  1. Have you ever sung this book? I didn't until I saw a video of Bill Martin Jr. singing it on YouTube. I think I will never read this book again -- only singing from now on!

    Here is a link to the video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdHCYgO9zh8

    Great post! I went through your site too -- you buy some really good books. We are big Bob Staake fans too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't sung this book, but now I will have to. Thanks for sharing the link, Eric.

      I was a children's librarian for a few years before I became a mommy. I started this blog for some of the parents from the library where I used to work. Unfortunately, I didn't know much about Staake's children's books before I left my job. Now he is my son's favorite author.

      Delete