Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Book 182: Pete the Cat, Rocking in My School Shoes

Pete the Cat, Rocking in My School Shoes, written by Eric Litwin, illustrated by James Dean, HarperCollins, 2011.

I'm not sure what makes Pete the Cat cooler:  His fearlessness (Goodness, no!), his singing, or his red hightop Chucks, or maybe a combination of all three.  My little boy first heard a Pete the Cat story at a library story time.  He loved it then, so I ordered him copies of a couple of the books, and he loves them now.

Eric Litwin is a singer/performer of children's music.  That very specialized skill leads to books that are fun to read AND sing, for me and for my four-year-old son.  In Pete the Cat, Rocking My School Shoes, Pete attends his first day of school, something that is entirely new to him and potentially scary.  But does Pete worry?  Goodness, no!  And yes, Pete ROCKS his school shoes.

James Dean's illustrations could not be cooler -- red hightop Chucks on a black cat!  James Dean has a witty sense of fun which pervades every page of this delightful book.







No comments:

Post a Comment