Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Book 511: An Object of Beauty

An Object of Beauty, by Steve Martin, Hachette Books, 2010.

I liked this book.  Of course, I worked (very briefly) in Art when I was in my twenties, so I understood much of it.

The book has been compared to Edith Wharton's Age of Innocence.  I disagree.  I see much more of another Edith Wharton book in this one:  The House of Mirth.  Lacey Yeager is very much like Lily Bart.  Her character, while not likable, somehow still manages to engender sympathy.

One more thing, the writing is sharp and crisp and witty.  After a while, I forgot that Steve Martin wrote this book and just enjoyed the writing.


2 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm also read this book some days before, really I'm like with you. You're doing great job. BBMDP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I just passed this book along to my brother this weekend. I hope he enjoys it too.

      Delete