Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Friday, March 1, 2013

Book 163: MORE

MORE by I. C.  Springman and illustrated by Brian Lies, Houghton Mifflin Books for Children, 2012. Toddler to Preschool to Early Elementary.

A couple of weeks ago, my four-year-old son, completely on his own, picked out MORE from our local library.  The book looked good, so I let him check it out.  It wasn't until I was reading it to him that evening that I realized that this books was so much MORE than good.  MORE is a concept book -- It teaches quantities, from one item to a hoard to just enough.  The text is clear, simple and basic.  Exactly what is needed.  The artwork, however, is anything but basic.  And it, too, is exactly what is needed.

About halfway through this book, I realized we needed to own it.  The illustrations were so staggeringly beautiful that I stopped reading and flipped to the cover to find out who created them -- Brian Lies.  Brian Lies later told me that this book was years in the making, four, I think, and worth every second.  I'm a former children's librarian so I could never desecrate a book by taking it apart and framing the pages, but this book sorely tempts me.





No comments:

Post a Comment