Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Book 175: BLUEBIRD

BLUEBIRD, by Bob Staake, Schwartz & Wade Book (Random House) 2013.

I could not love this book more.  BLUEBIRD unfolds gently, sweetly without a single word of text.  In fact, text not only is unnecessary, it would impede the flow of this tender story.

The artwork features a remarkably subtle palette -- only grays and blues -- but conveys so much through darkness and light and the shift from grays to blues.

The topics within BLUEBIRD are weighty and universal.  I did cry when I reached the end of the book.  My son, who is four, understood the story and proclaimed it "very beautiful".  Perhaps I should be more like my son.



This is my son AFTER he read BLUEBIRD.






No comments:

Post a Comment