Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Book 177: A Treasury of the Great Children's Book Illlustrators

A Treasury of the Great Children's Book Illustrators, by Susan E. Meyer, Harry N. Abrams, 1997.

I bought this book because of a recommendation by Tony DiTerlizzi, who is himself a pretty great children's book illustrator.  No doubt, he and Brian Froud will show up in later editions.

I am happy to say that I recognized all of the names except Kay Nielsen, who is now one of my favorite illustrators.  I grew up reading fairy tales -- I thought because of the stories themselves -- now I think because of the delightful and engaging classic illustrations.  For example, I had a Walter Crane-illustrated edition of Beauty and the Beast.


 I love the stories behind the illustrators and the illustrations, and the artwork contained in this book is alone worth the price of the book.






No comments:

Post a Comment