Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Book 304: The Blue Book of Fairy Tales

The Blue Book of Fairy Tales, (based on Andrew Lang's tales), illustrated by Gordon Litie, Little Golden Book, originally published in 1959.

The other day, I was in World Market, and my five-year-old son spotted a spinning rack of Little Golden Books.  There was a good mix of books on the rack, including reprints of some classic titles.  I let my son pick out three.  This was one of them.  (OK, I *might* have helped him pick this title out -- a Little Golden Book based on Andrew Lang's color fairy tales books?  Yes, please!)

This book is every bit as good as he, OK, as I, thought it would be.  The tales are beautifully and simply told, and the illustrations are classically gorgeous.  Included in this book are Rapunzel, Beauty and the Beast, and Toads and Diamonds.  I was a bit envious of Beauty's hair.








No comments:

Post a Comment