Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Book 315: Princess Matilda

Princess Matilda, by Eva Montanari, Paragon Books 2010.

I picked up this book on a whim.  This is not usually a good practice for me.

There is a lot to like about this book.  Matilda has a wonderful imagination and loves books.  There is also a lot to not like about this book.

Not only am I fine when the protagonist is not perfect, I usually prefer it.  However, the underlying tone of the text slips from emotional to bratty,  Bratty I do not like.  The tone could be an error in the translation, but it does affect the entire book.

The story itself is a bit weak; it does rely heavily on the illustrations, which might have worked better if I liked the illustrations more.







No comments:

Post a Comment