Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Monday, May 19, 2014

Book 319: Here, There Be Dragons

Here, There Be Dragons, by James Artimus Owen, Simon & Schuster, 2006.

By the time I had read the first third of this book, I began formulating an equation in my head to describe the story.  I had to adjust my proportions slightly as I read further, but I was delighted to find that by the time I had read the last page, my equation was justified.

Here is my equation:  This book, text and illustrations, is two parts C.S. Lewis; two parts Jules Verne; two parts mythology (all mythology); one part H.G. Wells; one part T.H. White; one part Tolkien; and one part Victorian fairy tales and fiction (which would include George MacDonald, J. M. Barrie, Conan Doyle, Dickens, Arthur Rackham and the PreRaphaelites).  And all tied together with humor and a fresh and unique voice.

Other readers might adjust their numbers, and probably with their own personal bias.  But no matter how the math is done, the parts should add up to a perfect 10.






No comments:

Post a Comment