Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Friday, June 6, 2014

Book 324: The Art and Flair of Mary Blair

The Art and Flair of Mary Blair, John Canemaker, Disney, updated edition 2014.

I knew that Mary Blair's illustrative work in books shaped my views on art in my childhood, but I was an adult for quite a while before I realized that it was her work that I admired so much in a few of Disney's movies. 

This absolutely gorgeous book is an introduction to who Mary Blair was as a person -- not a biography. The writer glossed over aspects of her personal life to bring out a love-letter to Blair's artwork. Page after page is filled with full-color reproductions of her staggeringly beautiful work. 

If you want a biography of Mary Blair, this is not the book for you. If you want to get lost in her lush artwork, this is definitely the book for you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment