Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Book 382: A Living Story Book Jack and the Beanstalk

A Living Story Book Jack and the Beanstalk, Crown Publisher, 1962.

It all started on my quest to find The Golden Goose book that I used to own as a child.  I did find The Golden Goose, but along the way, I stumbled over Tom Thumb and Jack and the Beanstalk.  When my son saw the photos of the book, he decided right then and there he needed those books, too.  So I bought all three.

Just like The Golden Goose book that I so fondly remembered from so long ago, this book, although sometimes described as being illustrated using puppets, is more akin with Rankin/Bass productions than the kind of creepy puppets in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.  (I loved Mr. Rogers, but the puppets scared me.)

The story is competently told, but it is the illustrations that elevate this book from ordinary to extraordinary.  Just look at that cover!



No comments:

Post a Comment