Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Book 400: I'm a Bulldozer

I'm a Bulldozer, written by Dennis Shealy, illustrated by Bob Staake, Little Golden Books, 2015.


I bought this book for my six-year-old son for two very good reasons:

1.   We have the misfortune of living at the top of the street where a one-year road construction project has been going on for over three years; and

2.   Bob Staake's illustrations.


For over half of my little boy's life, we been driving past road construction vehicles, sometimes standard yellow, sometimes shockingly pink -- most of them just parked  along the side of the road -- just to get from our stretch of road to another.  He has learned the names of all of them, especially the bulldozer.  Dennis Shealy did include some uses of the bulldozer that didn't include construction, so that made the book especially interesting.

A few months after the construction began, my son discovered books illustrated or written and illustrated by Bob Staake.  Staake quickly became my son's favorite illustrator.  After almost three years, my son is a connoisseur of Staake's work and would know it anywhere.  And he always says it's "beautiful".  And my son is right.


No comments:

Post a Comment