Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Book 60: The Little Engine that Could

Book 60: The Little Engine that Could, by Watty Piper, Platt & Munk 1930.  Preschool to Early Elementary

"The Little Engine that Could" is another much maligned book. It is often criticized for being too saccharine or preachy, and if I read it every day, I might find that to be true. But reading occasionally (maybe once a month), I find it delightful.

First of all, it features a train, toys and a circus. What more could you want? Personally, I could do with less of the clown (as in, not at all), but not everyone shares my quirk or phobia.

And it is a sweet story with an easy-to-grasp point. Is there anyone who grew up in before 1990 who can hear "I think I can" and not remember the engine? And the illustrations (again excepting the clown) are colorful and enjoyable.

Overall, it is no wonder this book is a classic of children's literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment