Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Book 62: The Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon

Book 62: The Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon, Four Magical Stories, by Crockett Johnson, first story published in 1955, collection reprint 1987, HarperCollins Publishers.   Toddler to Preschool

A while ago I reviewed "Not A Box" (Book 29) and commented on how it reminded me of "Harold and the Purple Crayon". I liked "Not A Box" because the genderless rabbit could be male or female and therefore could appeal to a boy or a girl. I love "Harold", though, because he reminds me of my fair-haired, toddling son.

Not only that, "Harold" is about a child's imagination, which I think is an excellent subject for a children's book, especially a clever child's imagination.

The illustrations are simple; the colors are few, although purple does play a prominent role; and the result is perfection in illustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment