Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Monday, June 14, 2010

Book 48: A Harry the Dirty Dog Treasury

Book 48: A Harry the Dirty Dog Treasury, by Gene Zion, pictures by Margaret Bloy Graham, 1956.  Preschool to Early Elementary

I grew up reading about Harry the Dirty Dog and I quite liked him, so when I saw a recent reprint of the story collection, I just had to buy it. This was before I had a son or was expecting one. When I re-read the stories many years after my childhood, I still smiled at No Roses for Harry. How I could relate to the gift of an unattractive sweater. Harry's solution is rather ingenious.

The illustrations are darling, in a style that would be called "retro" now, but actually was current when originally employed. I guess that would make them "vintage". There is something to be said for a limited color palette. The limitation forces the illustrator to make every line and shading count, or the whole picture would feel flat. It's probably a great artistic exercise.

Anyway, Harry the Dirty Dog is still a gem. Let's see how many generations can enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment