Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Friday, January 22, 2010

Book 1 -- Part Dos

Book 1 -- Part Dos: "Buenas Noches, Luna", published by HarperCollins

Because my toddler knows the original English version of "Goodnight, Moon" so well, I decided that the Spanish version would be a great way to introduce him to a few words in Spanish. I don't expect him to become fluent or anything, but I have been singing to him in French and German, and since we do live in Florida, well, learning a little Spanish just makes sense.

My husband studied a (very) little Spanish in high school, and I spoke it a little in elementary school (I lived in Hacienda Heights, CA). I thought he would be able to read the Spanish version better than I would. I was wrong. It turns out learning to speak another language (even a tiny bit) as a child stays with you more than learning it new as an adolescent. Anyway, after a not very successful page by page the first night, I've just been reading a few words (pretty much Buenas Noches and the nouns) to correspond with what my husband reads. It seems to be working. Already my son will point to the moon in my husband's book and to la Luna in mine. So overall, I think this is a pretty painless way to expose a child to a second (or third, or fourth) language.

No comments:

Post a Comment