Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Third book: Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!

Third book: Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!, written and illustrated by Mo Willems, Hyperion 2003.  Toddler, Preschooler.

I LOVE this book. I think it is hilarious. Fortunately, the toddlers I read it to in story time at the library agreed. Unfortunately, my colleagues did not. Oh, they tolerated the pigeon, but never really embraced him.

Toddlers all know the word "no". Even my one-year-old son is familiar with it. How great to have a character in a book toddlers can say "no" to. My son wags his head, but same idea. And how absurd to have a pigeon who wants to drive a bus. At the library we even used this book at an elementary school during Space Week and had the pigeon begging to fly the shuttle. It became wonderfully Dr. Who-ish when the pigeon wanted to fly just once around the galaxy. (The would be David Tennant's Dr. Who for those wanting a mental image).

Also, the deceptively simple illustrations make the pigeon instantly recognizable. In addition to buying this book, I also bought a toy pigeon that says in Mo Willems' creepy/funny voice "Let me drive the bus!" When I pull out the book to read it, my son grabs the toy pigeon.

There are other pigeon books, which also are very funny, but this one, the original, is my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment