Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Second book: The Animal Boogie

I'm aiming to write about at least one book a week.

Second book: "The Animal Boogie", written by Debbie Harter and illustrated by Fred Penner, hardbound with CD, published by Barefoot Books.   Toddler, Preschool, Early Elementary.

This used to be one of my favorite books to read for story time when I worked at the public library. The silly song appealed to preschool-age and school-age kids. I checked this book out from the library for my son when he was about eleven months old. I thought he would enjoy the playful, colorful illustrations. He did. However, I completely underestimated how much he would enjoy the silly song about the jungle animals. I had to read (sing) this book at least once a day every day for the three weeks we had it checked out. So I bought him his own copy. And he still loves the silly song and colorful illustrations, although, thankfully, I don't have to read the book every day anymore.

I would recommend buying this book in hard cover to hold up to many, many readings, and also buying the version with the CD -- especially if you are not especially skilled at reading music and carrying a tune. Also, after about the third time singing through the book in one day, your voice may appreciate a rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment