Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Book 7: A Wrinkle in Time

Book 7: A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L'Engle, 1962, Newbery Winner, Yearling Books.  Upper elementary to middle school.

The other day I read "When You Reach Me", by Rebecca Stead, this year's Newbery winner. I liked the book, although I probably would have liked it more had I not just recently watched the "Blink" Dr. Who episode. (Darn that New Year's marathon and David Tennant for being so adorable.) Anyway having recently wrapped my mind around time travel, this book's plot unfolded very quickly for me. "When You Reach Me" did pay homage, however, to a book I love and bought: "A Wrinkle in Time".

When I first read this book, I thought it was about me. At eleven I, like Meg, had braces, thick glasses for nearsightedness, and blah-colored hair that frizzed on the right side and was dead straight on the left. I was brilliant in a few subject and backward in others. My father had temporarily been assigned somewhere away from home. I would like to point out that the book was written years before I was even born, but back then, I didn't bother looking at publishing dates. Of course I was drawn into this book upon my first reading -- how could I not be?

Upon reading this book as an adult (so to speak), this book still enthralls me. There is that whole space/time travel -- again, David Tennant's Dr. Who. And the Cape Canaveral connection (where my husband works, for now, anyway). And, as an adult, I noticed that this book pay homage to one of my favorite writer's: C.S. Lewis, especially in his writings for adults.

So, when my son comes of age, I'll have him read this book and see if he sees himself in it. Have you read it? Are you in it?

No comments:

Post a Comment