Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Book 33: Curious George

Book 33: Curious George/Jorge el Curioso, by H. A. Rey, Houghton Mifflin Company.   Preschool to elementary.

This is another example of my ambition in secondary language far outstripping my skills. I'm starting to realize that I all really learned in my first and second grade class was how to say "boys and girls, sit down", how to count to twenty and a few colors. Still I'm always up for a challenge.

I would recommend any version of Curious George, especially the original 1941 version. The story is sweet and the illustrations are delightful. I would not, however, recommend reading it all in one sitting to a toddler. I broke the story into two readings and that seemed to work out pretty well. Also, even though this is not a chapter book, it seemed like a good way to introduce the concept of them.

My book is in paperback, which is fine since I'll probably be reading the book to my son. It is a good idea to reinforce the spine of paperbacks with clear packing tape. It will help them last much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment