Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Book 35: Unlovable

Book 35: Unlovable, by Dan Yaccarino.   Toddler to Preschool.

Unlovable by the incomparable Dan Yaccarino is anything but. I'm not a huge fan of small dogs, like pugs; I prefer the sturdier breeds, like Rhodesian Ridgebacks, but my sister and her husband are pug fans. In fact, they have two. And they are lovable even though the old arthritic cat teases them.

So when it came to building my son's library, Unlovable was an early choice. He sees my sister's silly dogs and can relate them to Dan Yaccarino's adorably quirky illustrations. That makes Alfred in the story pretty darn lovable. And what a great story it is.

I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Yaccarino a few years ago. A kinder or more considerate author is just not possible. My only problem with Mr. Yaccarino is that he's about my age and he's created this amazing body of work in so many forms of media. That is a bit depressing. He, however, is a darling, and although I'm reviewing Unlovable in this entry, any of his books is worth buying.

No comments:

Post a Comment