Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Book 214: The MONSTER at the End of this Book

The MONSTER at the End of this Book, by Jon Stone, Little Golden Book, 1971.  (Preschool to Early Elementary)

I don't remember reading this book for myself, although it certainly has been around long enough.  I do, however, remember reading this book to one of my younger siblings, probably my younger sister.  Anyway, today I read it to my almost-five-year-old son for the first time.

My son wasn't at all anxious about the monster at the end of the book.  He kept pointing to Grover and saying "That's a monster!"  So the ending did not surprise him at all, although it did make him laugh.  I don't remember how my sibling reacted when I read it to her (or him), but I'm pretty sure it was pretty close to my son's reaction.  Despite the "monster" in the title, there is nothing frightening about this book.  And that is a very good thing.  It's also a very good thing if we learn to laugh at our "monsters".





2 comments:

  1. What an interesting concept for a blog, and so appropriate for you at this time. For me too, but as the Grandmother!!! As a former reading teacher, I firmly believe that the earlier you rad to your children, the better readers you will have. But of course, that reading has to continue. Please check out and follow my blog. Scan down to the end, it's not long, I'm "young". At the end you will see my children's books. I am following you as jfaye21. Hope you and maybe some of your followers will follow me. I don't know how to get followers...must be the age of technology thing that is baffling me. Thanks, Faye
    http://www.fayeswordbasket.blogspot.com and webpage http://www.fayeswordbasket.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Faye. I will look into your blog, too. I'm unsure about how to get followers as well, but I do share my link on FB, so that seems to bring readers.

    ReplyDelete