Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Book 227: Sea Queens. Women Pirates Around the World

Sea Queens:  Women Pirates Around the World, by Jane Yolen, illustrated by Christine Joy Pratt, Charlesbridge, 2008.

Today, September 19th, was Talk Like a Pirate Day, so I thought today would be the perfect day to read Sea Queens.  I was right -- I love it when that happens.

Sea Queens is wonderfully well-researched, but it does not read like a textbook.  Actually, if textbooks read like this, I would have been far more interested in history when I was in school.  It reads like a well-told tale that happens to be factual.  I devoured it quickly, I learned quite a bit, and I will be re-reading it over the years.

The illustrations are not necessary -- this book would still be interesting and accessible without them -- but they do add a layer of intrigue.  The woodblock style artwork is a perfect choice for the subject matter.







No comments:

Post a Comment