Young Reader in the Making

Young Reader in the Making

Monday, September 16, 2013

Book 225: May on the Way


May on the Way: How I Became a K9 Spy, by KC Frantzen, illustrated by Taillefer Long, Rushjoy Press 2011.   Upper Elementary.

May on the Way is not a book I would typically pick out for myself.  I tend to avoid anthropomorphic animals, because I generally find them to be too cutesy and annoying.  Also, it is just strange getting inside a dog's head -- a cat, I could probably manage, but that would be another story.  This book, however, was brought to my attention as something I might enjoy, so I read it, and, I was surprised, but I did enjoy it.

May on the Way is not a perfect book.  I find the adoptive family's motives a bit suspect at first.  I think the husband yells at the dog that he knows has been abused far too much.  I wish the exciting spy stuff had started a whole lot sooner in this book.  This book is the beginning of a K9 spy series, so I can understand spending time setting up the characters and the situations, but it is still more than halfway through the book before the spy stuff is hinted at, much less, introduced.  Even so, I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.






No comments:

Post a Comment